Eli just compete his first year of Chinese school! He started the year in the Chinese as a second language class, but that class was shut down a few weeks into the school year because there were not enough students. Our only option was to drop out or try the Chinese Kindergarten class. I knew there would be several extra challenges he would have to work through but his teacher, Tang lao shi, was very patient and understanding with him She always had high fives, stickers, candy, and lots of praise (even when Eli only learned half of the poems the other kids did).
Some of the challenges he was facing were that, he did not speak Chinese at home like the other kids, so each week I would sit in the class to learn the poems with him. And he was also one of the youngest in the class, for most of the school year he was only 4 years old and not even old enough for a regular American Kindergarten class.
But he worked so hard this year and overcame all those extra challenges! Yes there where times when he did not want to do his homework and when I questioned if I should let him drop out. But in the end he did great and I think he learned a lot, not just about Chinese, but also about school, persistence and learning. It was great to see him learn his poems and writing words each week, and I could see that he felt proud of himself for completing something so difficult.
Tang lao shi with most of her class-
Matt, Eli and Ashley (Eric is missing)
I tried to put in 2 video clips of him saying his poems, but they were trying to load for over 12 hours, so I guess they are not going to work :(
Matt, Eli and Ashley (Eric is missing)
I tried to put in 2 video clips of him saying his poems, but they were trying to load for over 12 hours, so I guess they are not going to work :(
Here is Eli's report card for the year
华夏中文学校大费城分校学生成绩单
Huaxia Chinese School at Great Valley Student Grade book
2009-2010 学年成绩单 2009-10 School Year Gradebook
学生 Student -Eli Wright
教师 Teacher -Shuo Tang
年级 Grade -Beginner A/K
考勤成绩 (满分10 分)Attendance
第一单元 1st Marking Period -N/A
第二单元 2nd Marking Period -9
第三单元 3rd Marking Period -10
家庭作业(满分10分)Homework
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP -10
3rd MP -10
课堂测验(满分20分)Quiz
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP - 20
3rd MP - 20
课堂表现(满分20分)Classroom Performance
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP -20
3rd MP -20
口试 Oral Exam (满分20分)
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP -20
3rd MP -20
笔试 Written Exam (满分20分)
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP -20
3rd MP -18
总评(满分100分)Final Score
1st MP -N/A
2nd MP -99
3rd MP -98
教师评语 Teacher’s Comments
第一单元 1st Marking Period N/A
第二单元 2nd Marking Period-
Chinese is not his native language and he doesn’t have any Chinese environment at home. He made extra effort and spent extra time to learn Chinese each week with his mom full support and help. I truly admire his courage. He always tried his best to participate in the class. Keep up the good work.
第三单元 3rd Marking Period-
He is a wonderful student and has to always work extra harder than his peer because Chinese is not his native language. Keep up the great work! Have a great summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment